In this weekend’s fixture, Chesterton were faced with another away trip to reigning league champions Intel FC, this time in the Alexcars Charities Cup.

The visitors headed into the game full of confidence having beaten their opponents 4-2 on the opening day of the league campaign, while currently holding an unbeaten record in all competitions this season.

A 3-5-2 formation was the order of business again for Chesterton, although there were changes in personnel, including the introduction of goalkeeper Adam Clatworthy between the sticks, making his first appearance in place of Ryan Heaven.

The visitors anticipated a strong, early approach from their hosts, who would be looking to avenge that earlier loss, and with Chesterton playing the first half against a strong wind, the difficulty of the challenge ahead had been magnified.

However, this did not phase the away side who were solid in defence during the opening exchanges of the game and even looked to threaten on the break.

With Intel growing frustrated at the lack of clear-cut chances in front of goal, the visitors would capitalise in the 17th minute, when the ball was played into the feet of striker George Peare by midfielder Kieran Jones.

Jones continued his run beyond the forward, with Peare finding him again with a well-timed through ball, leaving his teammate clear on goal.

With the opposition ‘keeper closing the space, Jones remained composed under pressure and took the ball around the on-rushing Intel shot-stopper. He then calmly slotted the ball into the back of the empty net to give Chesterton a 1-0 lead.

Only a few minutes later and the away side were at it again. This time, midfielder Jonny Barham received the ball at his feet with his back to goal. With a clever turn, he beat his man, before whipping the ball towards the head of Peare.

The cross was slightly too high for the striker. Nonetheless, he would get a second bite at the cherry with Jones popping up at the back post to play the ball across goal, giving Peare an easy finish from six yards out.

The first half was not going according to plan for the hosts and they would soon find themselves in even more trouble when, in the 29th minute, Peare scored his second.

After a lovely passage of passing, Aaron Perry had possession on the right wing. He took one touch to get the ball out of his feet before unleashing a dangerous cross into the box. Met by the head of Peare, he made no mistake in giving Chesterton a 3-0 lead.

10 minutes later, Peare turned provider. His attempt at goal trickled past the keeper and was steered across the line by Barham, for his first goal of the season, ensuring that Chesterton would head into the half-time break with a healthy 4-0 lead.

With the wind behind them for the second half, Chesterton looked to mount the pressure on to their opponents and it only took until the 52nd minute for them to extend the lead to five.

This time, the ball would be delivered to the back post by Josh Russell from a set-piece towards the head of centre back Danny Bishop.

After being challenged in the air by the ‘keeper the ball ricocheted off Bishop and fell kindly at the feet of Barham who didn’t hesitate to double his tally.

Although the score remained 5-0 until the final whistle, this did not tell the full story of the second half.

Chesterton dominated possession and made their strong opponents look average on the day. This was all down to the work rate of the players who each gave 100%.

This resulted in a joint man of the match for the afternoon, with Aaron Perry and Josh Russell just edging out their teammates for the combined honour.

Men of the Match: Aaron Perry and Josh Russell

Leave a Reply