Saturday marked Chesterton’s second home game of the season as they welcomed Sherborne Harriers to Siddington Playing Fields on a cold and rainy day.

This would be the second time Chezzie have faced the Harriers in a short space of time, after recently beating them 15-0 away from home.

The hosts gained an early breakthrough as Will Power was given the opportunity to open the scoring after just three minutes when Dave Seales played him in, leaving him one-on-one with the opposition goalkeeper.

Although Chesterton were not at their very best in the opening stages, they were creating goal scoring chances against a somewhat lesser opponent.

Power found himself at the heart of these opportunities and could have grabbed a hat-trick within the first 12 minutes of the game, it not been for efforts that fell narrowly wide and over the crossbar.

Nonetheless, two minutes later and Power would find himself in the thick of it again.

This time, wing-back Josh Telling delivered the ball from the throw-in. Power used the bounce of the ball to roll the man marking him before unleashing a shot across the keeper into the bottom corner, doubling the lead.

The home side continued to work the ball around and put the pressure on the visitors and it didn’t take long to register the third goal.

In the 19th minute, Seales created an opportunity to deliver into the box and his delivery was met by Joe Stratford, who managed to steer the ball past the keeper with a little help from a deflection.

The away side found themselves in familiar territory from the reverse fixture with Chesterton proving relentless in attack.

The home side extended the lead to 4-0 in the 26th minute when Stratford dispatched his second of the game. After striker George Peare slid the ball into his path, he slotted it into the back of the net at the back post.

Sherborne looked to have collected themselves at back with little in the way of chances created for Chesterton in the next 10 minutes of play, or so it seemed.

That was until the 38th minute, when a passage of play between centre-backs Dan Jones and Danny Bishop resulted in the ball at ‘keeper Ryan Heaven’s feet, with the defense having no other way out due to Sherborne’s high pressure.

At first, it looked as though Heaven had taken the safe option of clearing the ball long but, instead, he had the vision to spot the run of Peare on the shoulder of the last man and play a well executed long ball over the top.

This left the striker one-on-one with the keeper, giving him the opportunity to strike the ball low into the bottom right-hand corner past the despairing keeper, for 5-0.

This looked as though it would be the last real action of the first half. However, Chesterton won a corner with moments left on the clock giving them one last chance to extend the lead.

Tom Cox would deliver a  dangerous cross from the set-piece giving club captain Dan Jones the opportunity to register his first goal of the season. He tucked the ball into the back of the net, ensuring Chesterton would head into the break with a very healthy 6-0 lead.

All credit to the away side who, despite an unsurpassable deficit, continued to battle into the second half. However, these efforts were to no avail as, in the 54th minute, Telling found himself with the ball in behind the opposition left back and played a low driven cross.

Despite the delivery being behind the strikers, it made its way across the penalty area, falling at the feet of Cox, who took one touch to knock it past the defender before drilling the ball low and hard past the keeper into the far corner. 7-0.

Two minutes later and Cox was involved again, this time on the wing, where he beat his man before crossing to Peare. He took one touch to set himself before slotting past the keeper for his second of the afternoon, making it 8-0.

The next few minutes saw a couple of questionable free kick decisions go against the hosts within their own half. One of which saw a long-range effort from the visitors matched by a great save by Heaven.

Chesterton would not settle for what they had already accomplished in the game and continued to pick apart their opponent. In the 75th minute, Peare would complete his hat-trick after receiving the ball from Seales. Once again he found the target to make it 9-0.

With only a couple of minutes of the 90 left to play, Peare furthered his tally after superb work from Stratford down the right wing resulted in a crossing opportunity and an easy finish for Chesterton’s top scorer.

There was even time for Mitch Stone to get in on the action when he showed alert, quick thinking. After the keeper fumbled a shot, Stone was quickest to react, getting to the ball before calmly slipping it into an empty net.

This would take the game to 11-0 and also be the last action in another dominant performance by Chesterton.

Man of the Match: Will Power

Special mention must go to midfielder Will Power, who earned himself Man of the Match after working tirelessly for the full 90 minutes and grabbing a brace for his efforts.

Leave a Reply