The time came this week for Chesterton to host their first home tie this season, in what would be their third game of the campaign against a tough and well-organised Hatherop side.

With a change in formation for Chezzie, in an attempt to combat the threat of the pacey Hatherop front three, the game didn’t have the same flowing football that the hosts have displayed in previous games.

It look as though the hosts would go behind early on but, thanks to a brilliant one-on-one save from Chezzie ‘keeper Ryan Heaven, the defences blushes were spared.

After the early scare, Chesterton began to get a foothold in the game and on 12 minutes took the lead through eventual Man of the Match George Peare, who latched on to a Will Power through-ball and slotted into the back of the net.

The hosts continued to apply the pressure and looked like they might double the lead soon after as Mitch Stone supplied a cross for Dave Seales who was denied by a fantastic save from the Hatherop ‘keeper.

Against the run of play Hatherop found themselves with a chance to get one back when, in the 27th minute, the referee awarded Hatherop a penalty after a questionable foul during a corner.

The penalty was calmly slotted away by Richie Crocker, bringing the scoreline level as the two sides headed into the half-time break.

Chesterton looked to try and regain control of the game, resorting to their favoured 3-5-2. This change saw the introduction of Danny Bishop who offered fresh legs up top, replacing Dave Seales.

Unfortunately, though, for Chesterton the game continued where it left off in the first half with a scrappy midfield battle.

The hosts were unable to control the ball in midfield, which eventually lead to another chance for Hatherop and a second penalty of the afternoon.

On 51 minutes, after a foul in the box by Aaron Perry, the hosts found themselves behind for the first time as Crocker despatched from the spot once more.

Despite going behind, Chesterton continued to battle on and were denied countless times by the away side’s keeper. Until the 67th minute, at least.

Substitute Joe Stratford found himself in space down the right wing and delivered a dangerous cross that the Hatherop keeper cut out.

However, his intervention was to no avail as Danny Bishop was able to react with a header, bringing Chezzie back level, with time to push on for the win.

Nonetheless, unfortunately for the home side they were unable to break down the Hatherop defence throughout the remainder of the tie and the game would finish 2-2 with both sides taking home a point for their efforts.

Man of the match: George Peare


Leave a Reply